When we bought these shelves about five years ago, we thought they were the coolest. Then we brought them home and realized...we don't have knick-knacks. So we put a couple candles on them, but you can't really light a candle inside a six-inch box. (Especially when you were scarred for life by Fire Safety Week in elementary school.) So the candles had to go, and then we just had empty boxes. Needless to say, we never bothered to hang them in our new house.
Note the fine layer of dust on them. We got our basement waterproofed and everything down there looks like this. G says I should have dusted them off for the picture but...nah.